Elena b Williams is a Samoan Australian singer/songwriter originally from Perth, Western Australia, now in Byron Bay, whose music encompasses world, soul and funk music. She started playing music at her father's poetry readings in Perth when she was 15. She was interested in music as a child and says her mother is a fantastic ukulele player and was always singing traditional Samoan Island songs when she was growing up. Her parents had an amazing music collection of all kinds of music, so that was a great introduction to world sounds. Some of her favourite artists are Nina Simone, Tracey Chapman, Tom Waits, Patti Smith and Bob Dylan.
Elena's career highlights are many, varied and impressive. Here are a few so far:
- Toured with well known band The Waifs in 2015
- Sang with Toni Childs for The Rebuild Nepal Concert on May 30th 2015 at Crystal Castle, Mullumbimby NSW.
- Two songs featured on ABC 2014 TV series "The Gods Of Wheat Street", songs from the show "Time" and "Wish" available on iTunes with Elena's EP "The Rose".
- Featured on Pete Murray's album "Summer at Eureka" on the track "Sugar".
- 3 time MusicOz Finalist for songs "Different Kind of Water" 2013,
- "The Long Intro" 2012, and 2007 "Capital Clown".
- Has released independent albums in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016.
- Writes music for film and television and enjoys bringing life to moving images.
Elena's new album "Feet in the Sand" is out now and available on iTunes. $3 dollars from every album sold goes to a youth surf program in the Byron Shire.
You can stream and sample Elena's music on her reverbnation page: https://www.reverbnation.com/elenabwilliams
She also has her own independent label, "Tauia Records", her mother's family name.
Marty's review: Elena's unique and distinctive vocals are something you just have to hear and experience. The diction and timbre resonate on every note and suit her musical styles that combine folk, soul and world music sounds. Her lyrics come from within and she reaches deep down into her soul to tell you a story that you know has been carefully and beautifully created.
Visit my other blogs and pages here: