classic and rare Australian popular music from the 1950's, 1960's. 1970's and beyond..including rock and roll, pop, beat, rock, surf and progressive, plus contemporary artists, new releases, reviews and other fun stuff

.

.

Monday, March 18, 2019

Aussie Troubadour Thomas Keating Shares Soul-Baring Single "Today I'm Staying Home"



Melbourne-based singer/songwriter/troubadour Thomas Keating recently released his new single “Today I’m Staying Home,” a nakedly self-referencing song with themes of depression and self-care during times of stress and uncertainty.  As vulnerable and open as a diary entry, “Today I’m Staying Home” is a carefully crafted spotlight on a world that’s completely his own. Gentle guitar pulses atop a bed of driving percussion, as his strikingly clear vocals anchor the guitar-driven song. Produced by Gordon Burke and featuring Keating on guitar, Jenny McCullagh on violin & vocals, Gavin Perkins on bass and Tim Parsons on drums, the single will be available digitally February 1. Keating is also sharing a video to accompany the track, filmed during the recording process of the single.  

Keating explains: “Today I'm Staying Home is inspired by one of those mornings where you wake up with the ‘f*ck its’, and you decide instead of leaving your bed or home to face your life and all the responsibilities that come with being an adult in this world, you just stay in. I've always struggled with bouts of depression and anxiety around the uncertainties and pressures of everyday life, and I guess at the time I wrote the song I was going through such a phase. I think it’s important to remember that at times it's okay just to feel like shit - it's okay to put your hand up and say 'I'm not dealing with this very well. I need help'. Mental health is extremely self-alienating, and I'd like to think that we are moving past the stigma of shame that has hung around such ailments for far too long.” 




“‘Today, I’m Staying Home’ is a glorious, anthemic paean to cocooning from a prodigious new talent.  A rippling acoustic bedrock underpins Keating’s open heartfelt singing and chorus as wide and open as the Simpson Desert. This is a catchy, jaunty pop song whose lyrics are contrastingly tinged with a hint of regret and melancholia born out of internal struggle and pain.” Backseat Mafia



Official website: 
FaceBook: 

No comments:

Post a Comment